Saturday, December 31, 2011

On a personal note for New Year's Eve

It's only a few hours away from the end of 2011 here in Australia, and I've been reflecting on my year of writing and blogging.  It's been a huge year for me, I've had some great adventures on and off the bike, and it wouldn't have been possible without the help and support of a lot of people.  I'm fortunate to be surrounded by exceptional people, so I thought I'd give some thanks...


Firstly, huge thanks to my wife and two young daughters for supporting my cycling endeavours - I spend a lot of time out of the house with training, riding and touring, and it wouldn't be at all possible without the encouragement and understanding of my family.


Huge thanks to all the editors and publishers who I've been involved with in 2011 - it's been great to have so many manuscripts and photographs about my cycling exploits published.  You've all been incredibly patient with me, and I've learned so much as a professional writer and photographer from all your input and teaching.


A massive thanks to the businesses and organisations in Australia and New Zealand who have taken an interest in what I do, and have assisted me to get out and have my adventures.  I have experienced places I would have never otherwise got to experience.  Thank you for believing in me and trusting me enough to share my thoughts about your parts of the world.


Special thanks goes to Iain and Paul, two elite level cyclists and elite level friends who help keep my bikes running smooth, and help me out a lot with fitness, technique and mental focus.  Contrary to what I might like to think, I'm not naturally athletic and I suck at working on bikes.  Without these two guys, I'd be sitting at home, out of shape and a nervous wreck, surrounded by a bunch of non-functional bicycles.


A big thanks and cubes must go to Jer and Rudi, who are usually the unwitting stars of my adventures.  Without those two guys, this blog just wouldn't happen.  I give you two guys a LOT of shit both in person, on the blog and in magazines - thanks for being such top gentlemen, and here's hoping for more adventures in the future.


My relentless teasing isn't just limited to the blog, here's a little something I whipped up and sent Rudi after our ride this morning. It really never ends...

Finally, and most importantly, a big huge colossal thank you to all the readers of the blog throughout the year.  When I started this in January, it was for my own amusement and the amusement of my mates, I never dreamed I'd be reaching out to thousands of people all over the world, most of whom I'll never even meet!  I'm an insecure little fellow so I check my blog stats quite a lot, and I'm always thrilled to see the number of readers from all over the world sharing in what I do - it's an amazing feeling and it definitely encourages me to get back out on the bike and keep sharing my world with you all.  I hope you've enjoyed reading my ramblings in 2011, and I'm looking forward to sharing more in 2012.


Have a safe and healthy 2012, and keep riding to new places!

No comments:

Post a Comment